Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wooing the Heart of God

What is your view of God? Do you picture Him as some mighty Zeus-type figure in the sky that is ready to zap you and force His will and plans upon your life, no matter how miserable they cause you to be? Truth is, the Bible paints a very different picture. The Bible displays that God seeks relationship with you and me, and He listens to our cries and petitions. This morning, my connections class pastor mentioned starting a new series on the story of King Hezekiah soon. I love his story for a few different reasons, but perhaps the reason I love it most is because it shows just how God listens to those that earnestly love and seek Him. Let’s take a look at a few details about Hezekiah and his life.

Hezekiah trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before or after his time. He remained faithful to the Lord in everything, and he carefully obeyed all the commands the Lord had given Moses. So the Lord was with him, and Hezekiah was successful in everything he did. ~2 Kings 18:5-7a

Hezekiah had a track record of going to God whenever he needed advice or assistance. He stayed connected to God. The Lord was with him & Hezekiah was successful BECAUSE he was faithful and obedient to God. It’s a good model for our own lives. If you go back and look at 2 Kings 18:5, the Bible reiterates that Hezekiah trusted God & that there was no one like him among all the kings. That’s a pretty great endorsement of his relationship with the Lord. Later in Hezekiah’s life, his pattern for seeking the Lord became truly a life or death situation.

About that time Hezekiah became deathly ill, and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to visit him. He gave the king this message: “This is what the Lord says: Set your affairs in order, for you are going to die. You will not recover from this illness.”

When Hezekiah heard this, he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, “Remember, O Lord, how I have always been faithful to you and have served you single-mindedly, always doing what pleases you.” Then he broke down and wept bitterly.~2 Kings 20:1-3

God listened to Hezekiah and something truly amazing happened.

But before Isaiah had left the middle courtyard, this message came to him from the Lord: “Go back to Hezekiah, the leader of my people. Tell him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your ancestor David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you, and three days from now you will get out of bed and go to the Temple of the Lord. I will add fifteen years to your life, and I will rescue you and this city from the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my own honor and for the sake of my servant David.’” ~2 Kings 20:4-6

God said to Hezekiah that He heard his prayer and saw his tears. What had looked like done deal (Hezekiah was told by God’s prophet Isaiah that he would die) was reversed! I don’t know about you, but this brings me hope!

My God, the creator of the universe, listens to my prayers. He not only listens to my prayers, but He is moved by my prayers and my tears. I know this, and have known this for quite some time, but as I reflect on this truth it moves me and humbles my heart. Psalm 56:8 says,

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.

He knows every tear that has fallen as I have prayed and interceded. As I continue to petition to the heart of my God and seek intersession for those I love, it encourages me. It gives me strength to continue on the journey. I feel confident that my God will soon say to me,

“I have heard your prayer and seen your tears,”

And He will grant my heart’s petition, which I believe originated from Him as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment