Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Surrendering to the Blindfold- Part I

Usually I blog about things where I have gotten some kind of clarity of thought…..today is different. I am blogging about a verse and a question that has left me with more questions than before. Almost 2 years ago, I was drawn to a particular passage in the Bible. When I read it I knew it was significant for me…although I didn’t quite understand how. The passage is Habakkuk 1:5, 2:2-3. To be quite honest, I’m not sure I even could tell you that Habakkuk was an actual book in the Bible before 2 years ago. Except that’s not entirely true….about 6 months ago I found a list of scriptures I had made note of in a journal from 5 years ago. One of the scriptures….Habakkuk 2:2-3. I have often made jokes that if you get a “Word” from Habakkuk, you know that it must be from God! Over the last 2 years, I have heard this passage preached at least a half a dozen to a dozen times. This weekend, Sheryl Lackey taught from this passage as she talked about seasons of trust. I also had the verse sent to me in an email this week. And if I had "missed the message," last night as I walked into my hostess' house….what verse do you think was staring at me painted on a huge canvas? Habakkuk 1:5 & 2:2-3.

Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed.

For I am going to do something in your days that

you would not believe, even if you were told.

Write down the revelation
and make it plain on tablets
so that a herald may run with it.
For the revelation awaits an appointed time;
it speaks of the end
and will not prove false.
Though it linger, wait for it;
it will certainly come and will not delay.

This week, that verse has always been accompanied by a question. It is not a question I liked. It’s an uncomfortable question. It is one that I don’t particularly want to think about, but I’m feeling that God has a different plan about confronting this issue. The question: What do you do when things don’t turn out the way you expected?

Since I am praying about so many things, I could play coy and pretend I don’t know what God is asking me about. But since He is omniscient and all…silly games are, well, silly. I know what He’s asking me about. The truth is, however—I don’t really know why. Could it be to get me to really examine my heart, to check my true motives at the deepest levels? Possibly. Could it be to prepare me ahead of time for my response when things just don’t turn out the way I expected? Again, it’s a definite possibility. I honestly don’t have that answer yet. I have asked the question. Truth be told, it was more of a statement to my Father, rather than a question. I was getting ready Sunday morning & I said to Him, “Okay God. I trust you to show me why you are asking me this.” And without missing a beat afterward, I just felt in my spirit, “Well, that really wouldn’t require much faith or trust, now would it?” And I had to admit—it was true.

...Part II to be posted tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment