Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When the Expected Unexpected Comes

I remember once as a little kid falling off the monkey bars and landing on my back. All these years later I can still clearly remember the feeling of the wind being knocked out of my chest. I felt that same feeling yesterday morning, only I didn’t fall off the monkey bars this time. I received a piece of news that was unexpected. However…even though I didn’t expect this particular news, I knew that God had been preparing me to face this situation. (See Surrendering to the Blindfold Parts I & II.)

The question I have been faced with over & over the last couple of weeks has been “What do you do when things don’t turn out the way you expected?” I knew the particular situation of which the question inquired …and it made me uncomfortable.

It was difficult to consider all the possibilities of how things could turn out differently. You see, I felt that I had a very specific promise from God that had been affirmed and reaffirmed over the last 2 years. I didn’t quite know how to resolve that in my finite mind. But I made a decision…I didn’t have to understand it all (some of you can’t quite appreciate how far I have grown in this area), and I would trust God, trust His heart.

I didn’t have to wait long…one week after my first blog post on the subject I found out what the question meant. And it was certainly an unexpected turn that could have thrown me for a major loop had God not been preparing me for 2 weeks prior. Suddenly why it was accompanied by the verse in Habakkuk also became clear. The unexpected doesn’t always speak of the end—sometimes it can come in the form of a major left-turn that, if you weren’t prepared for it, could throw you completely off course.

In case I didn’t “get it,” yet again I open my email inbox this morning, & a scripture is staring me in the face…this time from the Living Proof Live prayer team blog:

“For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.” (Habakkuk 2:3, ESV)

At this point certain things are starting to make sense to me: I know the promise that God has laid on my heart. I know God’s character, and that His promise lines up with His Word. I know that this may or may not be the last unexpected turn on this portion of the journey. I know my God is faithful, and that He will never leave me, never abandon me, and will give me the strength to walk through this when I lean & rely on Him.

Things I don’t know right now: When is the “end?” When does the promise come? What is the ultimate “end” of all of this?

So what does that mean for me today? It means that today I surrender to the blindfold once again. I will ask and trust that my Lord will guide me through today’s situations. I choose to trust. I choose to obey—even when it’s hard, even when I don’t know the result. I will continue to seek Him and ask for wisdom, discernment, and boldness. In Jeremiah 33, God talks to Jeremiah about a promise of restoration after Israel has been destroyed, and all looks hopeless.

In Jeremiah 33:3 the Lord says, “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

I have experienced His faithfulness in this promise…and I will continue to ask and trust.



No comments:

Post a Comment