Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What Matters Most....

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least." ~Goethe

My heart breaks this morning. As I hear the reports coming out of Vilonia and Northwest Arkansas, it causes me to pause and take note. Vilonia was my hometown’s “rival” growing up, and I consider Northwest Arkansas my second home after my years up there during both college and parts of my graduate education. The towns and especially the people, even those I don’t know, hold a special significance for me. So far, everyone I know is okay, although many have suffered extreme loss.

Times such as these cause me to reflect on my own life and the people that I hold most dear to my heart. We are not promised a certain number of days on this earth. Life is fragile, even though we like to think of ourselves as invincible. Possessions, while they can hold practical and even sentimental value to us, are poor facsimiles for what is truly dear to our hearts. If I am choosing to be completely honest this morning, my heart aches today for those that I want to protect—some from elemental dangers, some from other forms of it.

However, as I woke up this morning, I watched the sun streaming in my windows and one thing came to my mind, and it comforted me.

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ~Lamentations 3:22-23

This scripture is from the book of Lamentations, and is actually in the middle of a heartbreaking cry from the writer. The writer still felt pain. The situation was still difficult—heartwrenching even. Those my heart aches for is unfortunately amplified today. I can’t change their situations. I can’t rescue. What I want to do out of instinct is futile. But my heart still trusts and it still hopes…and it still waits.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” ~Lamentations 3:21-24

No comments:

Post a Comment